Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2010 Tomato Growout - Part I

2009 was a great year, with plentiful harvest, specially of peppers and tomatoes. Gave them away, cooked, froze, diced and sliced, and indeed, eat fresh off the vine:






There are few, however I would like to mention that are indeed a "keepers" in the garden:

Bychiye Serdtze (Bull's Heart)

Russian origin - abundance of healthy, meaty, juicy and sweet fruit that lasted until the first frost! Just as great tasting as I remember back in Russia



Black from Tula

Great taste to my pallet that has just the right amount of acid and sweetness, some smoky/salty somewhere in there too, and good, steady producer in my garden all season:



Cherokee Purple

While the production was moderate, and wend down south as the weather heated up, it's sweet taste, with creamy flesh was one of the family favorites:


Brandywine Sudduth.

And last but not least by any means!
Many report that these guys are not productive at all, and lucky to have 5 good fruits entire season. We had over 30 fruit gathered from 10+ foot high plant. Great flavor with no sweetness, but rich and complex - going back again next year:


As I go through my notes, I will post more of what I felt was worth growing again. As for now - planing expansion of the garden, and a difficult decision to make of what varieties in addition to the 4 mentioned above are going take their place in 2010 garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment